A four day mini-camp was organized as a tool to help in the reintegration process of street children from transit centers (Gitagata and Marembo). The camp took place in GS Kanyinya, located in Kanyinya sector of Nyarugenge district. 99% of participants were coming from Nyarugenge and Gasabo district.
UYISENGA NI IMANZI funded the camp, while Scouts and UNM team ensured the facilitation. Different actors came to meet young campers, to train and advise them.
The total of 139 campers/participants were chosen in three groups aged between 8 and 22 years old :
- UYISENGA NI IMANZI Sponsored students
- Girls and Boys in the reintegration process (former street children)
- Girl and Boy Scouts (Saint Charles Lwanga Unit)
The first day was the installation and the launch of the camp by Mr Chaste UWIHOREYE, UNM Country Director who expressed recognition to partners of the camp: ASR( Rwanda Scout Association), Saint Charles LWANGA scouts unit based at Nyamirambo, Centre Marembo, GS Kanyinya. He also gave an overview of the camp structure (leisure, sessions with professionals and Officials, competition, activities to make the environment very friendly.
Different sessions were in two sessions organized in patrol systems where by those aged between 8 and 14 in 5 patrols formed the first cohort, those aged between 15 and 22 years of age in 12 patrols formed the second group. Topics were all around RESILIENCE, RIGHTS AND DUTIES,COMMITMENT AND HARD WORK,CONFIDENCE, PATRIOTISM, UNITY AND PEACE.
The three following days were organized as children had three sessions with professionals per day in learning,doing practical jobs and having time for leisure/sports and creativity. They learned a wide range of experiences, new skills, and many lessons including how to be INTORE. The camp has been an added value to the classical lessons they follow at school; we hope that various experiences they got will serve as an impetus in positioning their future life.
UYISENGA NI IMANZI is grateful to all speakers:
- Dr Ndahiro Alfred, UYISENGA NI IMANZI Board of Directors Chairman
- Mrs Umuhire Christiane from the Ministry of Gender and Family Promotion
- Mr Lambert Hategekimana from the National Commission for Children
- Mrs Josehine Uwajeneza, the Director of Gitagata Rehabilitation Center
- Superintendent of Police Ndushabandi JMV from Rwanda National Police
- Officials from Nyarugenge district
- Officials from Gasabo district
- Mrs Nsabimana Nicolette from Centre Marembo
- Rwanda Scouts Association
The partnership with Saint Charles Lwanga Unit of Scouts which began by child protection has opened new door on street children reintegration. We are very impressive on positive results so far and we expect its extension.